Tuesday 5 August 2014

August in London

And so back to 'real' life: London, work, the commute, a long to-do list... Is not terrible, but a phrase I heard from an old friend while I was in Washington State keeps resonating: Follow your heart, not your head. 
I know there are those who think  'the pursuit of happiness' are dirty words, but they weren't written into the US constitution for nothing. I don't think so anyway. If not happiness, then what? So I'll share a few of the things that are making me happy here in my adopted home right now:

 1. London in August. It feels as though everyone's gone on vacation and - at last! - there's a seat on the train, room to walk down the sidewalks without being jostled and restaurants aren't so crowded. In a nutshell, a little more breathing space.
 
2. We're having the best summer weather-wise since I arrived here over 30 years ago. Don't just take my word for it: even the weather folk are saying so. That means sunshine, blue skies, warmth. In short, it actually feels like summer! 

3. My walk over the park to the train station in the morning. The view over the city is terrific and you only have to turn your head a little bit and it doesn't even look as if you're in a city!
 4. Getting together with friends. We had a laughter-fuelled evening Saturday night, with plenty of food and enough drink. A second meet-up with the same friends at an outdoor music event (the blues, every Sunday afternoon throughout August, 1.30-5.30pm in Broomfield Park, N13), talking and listening in the sunshine, was most enjoyable.
One thing I'm not loving: my computer dying. After being dropped on its head twice, so to speak, once each by the two men in my life (no names, but I think you know who you are!), combined with being six years old at least (it was pre-loved when it came to me), it is no longer playing ball and won't always wake up. Add it to the need-to-buy list... Right behind getting the car serviced... 

No comments:

Post a Comment